Association of Indigenous Anthropologists A Section of the American Anthropological Association
About the (AIA)
American anthropology was founded on the study of American Indians, both present and past, and until the last few decades there were few professional anthropologists of Native American heritage.
The purpose of Association of Indigenous Anthropologists (AIA) is to
- advance anthropological study relating to Indigenous peoples, both past and present;
- support and encourage the professional development of members by supporting a forum for respectful and engaged discussion of common issues and current work;
- provide a network for the support and encouragement of Indigenous undergraduate and graduate students of anthropology;
- increase intellectual exchange by sponsoring symposia, sessions, workshops, exhibitions and publications; advance and facilitate stronger ties between Indigenous communities and the field of anthropology;
- encourage professional work that will benefit both the discipline of anthropology and Indigenous communities.